It Takes Two to Talk
Hanen's It Takes Two to Talk program is a research based program designed for parents of children under the age of five years old who have a diagnose of language delay. In a small group setting led by a Hanen Certified speech-language pathologist, parents are given knowledge and skills to help them guide their child to develop language skills during their everyday interactions with their child. The program offers 6-8 parent training sessions and three home visits where the parent is videotaped practicing new skills and practical feedback is offered. This allows the parents to see what is working and what modifications can be made.
Parents learn to:
- Recognize their child's communication stage and style so that parents know what is expected and what they can do to promote language development.
- Discover what motivates the child to interact so they can create more opportunities for communication.
- Modify everyday routines to help the child take turns and keep interactions going.
- Follow the child's lead to encourage him to communicate.
- Add language to interactions to increase understanding and use of language.
- Modify play and book reading activities to help the child learn language.
- Modify the way they talk to their child to increase understanding and learning of new words.
For more information about Hanen's It Takes Two to Talk program, please contact us.
Other Specialized Services:
Sensory Integration Therapy